United Methodist Church, Bonners Ferry
Bonners Ferry, Boundary County
- Grant: 2025 – Technical examination of roof for future repair/replacement and belltower repairs
Location: 6568 Lincoln St Bonners Ferry, ID 83805
In 1863, the Kootenai Indians sold property on both sides of the Kootenai River to E.L. Bonner, while at the same time the Idaho Territorial legislature gave Bonner rights to operate a ferry across the river. Dick Fry established a trading post near the ferry landing, which led to a growing settlement along the popular trade route. However, the Kootenai River was an unruly neighbor. Frequent floods, including particularly devastating ones occurring in 2894, 1916, 1933, and 1948 impeded the settlement’s expansion, and the 1948 flood claimed the records of the Methodist Church established in 1910.
In the early 1950s, the decision was made to construct a new church. The church was designed by Seattle-based architect Charles Baylon and was built on donated land atop Bonners Ferry’s South Hill. Groundbreaking services were held in June 1956, and the first services were held on November 3, 1957. Some building materials were salvaged from the buildings at Farragut Naval Training Base after World War II. The mid-century modern church is notable for the up-tilting walls made of concrete panels and a flat, eaveless roof (which was later modified in the 1980s due to drainage issues).
A 2025 IHT Heritage Grant provided an extensive technical assessment of the roof, belltower, and potential for expansion of areas of egress, with the intent to use this information to create a comprehensive plan to address the aging roof while maintaining the building’s historic character.