Northern Pacific Depot
Wallace, Shoshone County
- Grants: 1994, 1995, 2014
Location: 219 6th Street, Wallace, Idaho 83873
This lovely railroad station, with its impressive corner turret, was built in 1902 with brick from China. The brick had been imported in 1890 for the Olympic Hotel in Tacoma. The hotel burned when only partially completed, and the brick was used for depots in Wallace and Missoula. In 1976 the Depot was listed in the National Register of Historic Places. Later the entire downtown of Wallace was added to the Register. In 1986, the Depot was moved to make room for the Interstate Highway and was restored at that time. It now houses a museum of railroad history and serves as the symbol for Historic Wallace.