Italian Settlement School
Priest River, Bonner County
- Grants: 1997, 1998, 1999, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007
Location: Three miles north and east from Priest River.
Italian immigrants came to the Priest River area between 1890 and the 1920s to help build the Great Northern Railroad. The area became known as the Italian Settlement, hence the name of the school. He community had its own church on the site as well as the school. The church closed in 1939 when the community was absorbed into St. Catherine’s Parish in Priest River. The students also went to town with the consolidation of outlying school districts. For many years the school was used for dances, wrestling matches and other community events. The Knights of Columbus renovated the property and the community once again uses it.