Hagerman, Gooding County
- Grant: 2001, 2004, 2022 (glass window replacement)
Location: 100 S. State Street, Hagerman, Idaho 83332
In 1909 the present day Hagerman Museum building was constructed by investors who chartered the Hagerman State Bank of Idaho in anticipation of a railroad boom. Efforts to bring the railroad to Hagerman failed, but the bank endured. In 1916, with the creation of the national banking system, the bank changed its name to First National Bank. The bank operated until November of 1935 when it closed during the Great Depression. The building was sold to the Village of Hagerman, who leased it to the federal government for the city’s postal operation. The building served as the post office from 1936-1984.
In 1984 the Hagerman Valley Historical Society made it the local museum. The collection focuses on the history of the Hagerman Valley and includes pre-human natural history, focusing on the Hagerman horse and other fossils found in the Hagerman Fossil Beds; Native Americans, exploration and early activity by American, European and Asian emigrants and post pioneer history including collections related to notable citizens such as author Vardis Fisher and artist Archie Teater.
The building is distinctive because of its romanesque revival architecture. It has been listed in the National Register of Historic Places since August 11, 1989.
For more information contact the Hagerman Valley Historical Society and visit https://hagermanmuseum.org/