First Presbyterian Church
Malad, Oneida County
- Grant: 2012, 2013
Location: 7 South Main Street, Malad, ID 83252
The First Presbyterian Church, established in 1882, was the first church in Oneida County. It was built on a hill where Malad City was first settled in 1865. The original church building is still in use today and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. In addition, the Presbyterian School and manse was the only school in Oneida County from 1882 to 1910 and was unfortunately destroyed by fire in 1910.
A large collection of photographs of the original church, school classes, Ladies Society, and church outings dating back to the 1890’s was discovered in the basement of the church. The First Presbyterian Church has requested support from the Idaho Heritage Trust to restore and preserve these historic photos of early Oneida County.