El Korah Temple
Boise, Ada County
- Grants: 2017
Location: 1118 W. Idaho Street, Boise, Idaho 83702
El Korah Shriners were charted in June of 1898 and moved into their current building in 1914. The Shriners obtained the current property and rebuilt it in 1914 after a fire destroyed much of the building. In 1921 scenic artist and Shriner member, Harry Hopffgarten painted 11 murals on the walls of the ballroom. “The scenes, dignified and mysterious, combined desert palm and lakeside with Greek columns, ancient Egyptian ruins, a Sphinx, camels, draped Arabian travelers and Asiatic boats, with an occasional lone woman carrying water and a mosque for background romance”. The murals have been hidden behind paneling since the early 1970’s. A grant was awarded to begin the process of revealing and restoring the Murals and decorative paint.