Children’s House Montessori School (Carnegie Library)
Lewiston, Nez Perce County
- Grants: 2016
Location: 101 5th Street, Lewiston, ID 83501
The Carnegie Library is located in historic Pioneer Park overlooking downtown Lewiston in the Normal Hill historic neighborhood. The ladies of the Tsemenicum Club who wrote a letter to Andrew Carnegie requesting money to build a city library commissioned the library. The request was granted and the sum of $10,000 was donated towards the construction. The library was completed in 1904 and operated until 1999. The library was designed in a neo-classical style similar to many Carnegie Libraries. The library is owned by the City of Lewiston and used as a Children’s Montessori School.