1916 Cathedral of St. John the Evangelist
Boise (Ada County)
- Grant: 2018
Location: 807 N. 8th Street, Boise, ID 83702
St. John’s Cathedral is architecturally significant as the largest Romanesque Revival Church in Idaho. Tourtellotte and Co. was the foremost architectural firm of that period and this cathedral is one of their more monumental structures. It is historically significant for its association with Bishop Alphonse J. Glorieux, under whose direction the Cathedral was constructed and the rise of the Catholic Church in Idaho. Construction began in 1906 and the superstructure was completed in 1916. Following WWI in 1921, the towers were completed and the church was finally dedicated. The Cathedral of St. John the Evangelist is listed in the National Register of Historic Places.