1900 Heritage House
Lewiston, Nez Perce County
- Grants: 2008, 2013, 2014, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019 – retaining wall and fountain resoration
Location: 310 3rd St, Lewiston, ID 83501
The Heritage House was built in 1896-1900. It is listed on the National Register of Historic Places as Nutting House, as the Nutting family lived in the house in the 1920’s and operated the nearby Laundry. The name was changed to Heritage House in 1987 to indicate its significance, as the last remaining representation of historic domestic building in downtown Lewiston.
The Heritage House’s foundation has its roots in a log cabin built in 1863, which was destroyed in the Great Fire of 1897. Phillip Nutting purchased the property and the remaining foundation, upon which he built the house we see today. Even then, the residential property was an outlier in Lewiston’s burgeoning business district. Since being taken over by the Nez Perce County Historical Society in 1963, the building has been furnished with period-appropriate Victorian furnishings and has undergone a number of restoration efforts, many of which were completed with funding from Idaho Heritage Trust.